Sunday, August 19, 2012

Allergy shots, contacts, and Oscars

Like any other well-behaved Oklahoma girl, I suffered from horrible allergies. I saw the doctor, went through the torture skin testing, and ended up receiving allergy shots each week. We lived several miles from the doctor's office and so they trained my dad to give me the shots. 

As a kid, it was no big deal. Dad made it seem so easy and I never really thought abut it. Recently, dad admitted that he HATED giving those things to me. Like most parents he did not enjoy the process of jabbing a needle into my arm.

I thought of him this past week...each morning. 

Matthew has begged to wear contacts. At his yearly eye checkup, he finally got his wish. The eye doctor decreed that if he could insert and remove them, Matt was cleared to wear them. 

Knowing that his world would end if he was unable to get contacts, the pressure was on. He practiced, tried, worked hard, stressed, practiced, stressed, and well, you get the idea. 

Try as he might, he couldn't quite get them in yet. Enter, mom. With me prying his upper eyelid up, and him prying his lower eyelid down, I put his contacts in each morning. I cannot explain in words how horrible it is to touch another person's eyeball. Not even cute Matthew's. It's really disturbing to be honest. Bleck.

In addition, I as the mom must not show that it's completely gross. It's totally normal to mess with that jelly-ish globe and touch it. So  yeah, I deserve an Academy Award. 

Each evening, I thank the Lord that he is able to remove them. I'm pretty sure I just couldn't do that part too. 

It is pretty cool to see his face without glasses. He's a pretty cute kid so after I recover each morning, I enjoy the view. And so does he. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment