Friday, June 7, 2013

An update

We took the kids to LaFortune Park in Tulsa Wednesday night. They have some awesome playgrounds, lots of shade, families all around playing and walking their dogs. It was a beautiful night and all three kids loved it.

I suspected Katelyn would love the place. If she can climb it, she does. If she can hang from it, she does. If she can go across it, she does. The playground was perfect for her.

Love her sweet face.


Rarely catch the smile, but it was definitely easier at the playground. She just couldn't help herself!



Mooooooom!



Think she likes the slide? lol


My baby about to be 12.


My other monkey.


Everything is going pretty well. She gets overwhelmed if we do too much or see too many people at once. Andy and I are getting better at reading her and preventing her from being stressed. It makes it better for everyone. 

In my unprofessional opinion, she is exhibiting many things I read about in adoption books. But this sweet girl is so brave, and so good at just trusting us, and rolling with it, I'm really amazed by her. I swear that if I was her, I'd be in the corner rocking back and forth. lol But she is so smart and so courageous and we are thankful for her every. single. day. 

We prep her before every activity or visitor. We explain it all the best we can and sometimes she flat out tells us no, and sometimes she nods in agreement. She takes a bit to warm up, but once she does, it goes pretty well. I think she is doing a little "fake it 'til ya make it" and does what she thinks you are supposed to do. Meet a relative? Say hi and offer a hug. Going to bed? Give hugs and politely say goodnight. And I love her for it. She's trying and doing her very, very best. 

Other times, she says no to something, or shrugs her shoulders as if she really doesn't care to bother with it, and I get that. 

We've finally made it clear that she doesn't have to clean her plate. She knows to eat what is filling, and that she will always have access to a snack or drink later, and another meal when it's time. I am sure she was never denied food or made to eat everything, I just think it was one way she tried to do what is "expected" and what she thought would please us. I'm really glad she  understands it's okay to stop eating when she's full. :) It's the little things!


No comments:

Post a Comment