Thursday, September 18, 2014

Cooking

I have a lot of talents, but cooking ain't one. I can mess up nearly any recipe. I don't season it enough, so then I season it too much. I don't bake it long enough. I bake it too long.  I could lie and say my oven must cook at a higher temperature, but that's like saying my eyes are fine...it's my arms that aren't long enough! I even manage to mess up crockpot recipes. One time I bought a huge roast. I cooked it so long it was barely enough for the 5 of us to eat. I had visions of full bellies and left overs for lunches. Instead, we ate a few bites of roast, loaded up on potatoes and carrots, then offered bananas, Ritz crackers, and apples to the kids when they were still hungry.

We are in the dinner rut. Nathan's palate is...let's say, unrefined. He'd happily eat chicken nuggets every. single. day. Matthew eats quite a few things, but that's ALL he eats. If he hasn't had it before, he's not having it now. That makes trying new things extra fun.  Katelyn will eat anything. There are only a few things she doesn't like. I had to go outside of our gene pool to get a good eater. 

I've tried a few new meals and we haven't had to resort to a last minute pizza delivery yet. I did attempt to teach Matt some of the basic stuff and he suddenly had something urgent to do anywhere else but in the kitchen. 

I consider myself to be pretty smart. I get by ya know? But let's just say if we had the money, I think we would all agree (me included) that eating out every meal would be preferable to my shrunk up roasts, bland stew, or dishes with enough garlic to cause a world shortage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment