Monday, February 2, 2015

Baby Ike and what I've learned

Tonight one of my most favorite families had their new baby boy placed in their arms for the first time. They are in China and after the typical long wait, crazy paper chase, ups and downs of the adoption process....Martha is now holding precious Ike in her arms. Her husband and both older children are all there too and I am just so thankful to God for this amazing blessing.

It's fun to experience it from this perspective. Watching God's love literally pour out over all of them, and living vicariously through their adventures is more than amazing. It motivated me to go back and read my own blog entries about our own experience with bringing Katelyn home. It really makes you realize how far we have all come.

I know I brag about her, say she's smart, say that my boys have handled it well. But there is no way to describe how wonderful it has been. We've had tough times, things to work through, and some growing pains. But as I look back over the past 19 months together, I am truly humbled. When you're living the day to day life of a family of 5, I think it's easy to take it for granted.

You want your kids to just be kids....not bicker, shut the pantry door, finish their chores, lay off the video games, be polite, work hard on their school work, and stop eating us out of house and home. But then I remember the beginning of our family of 5. And I am reminded that this sweet girl was braver than anyone I know and at age 7, happily took the leap of faith to join us. She left the food, the smells, the language, the culture, the fashion, and every adult who had ever cared for her...she left it all.

And to say she has blossomed would be an understatement. She can be a hot mess. She can roll her eyes. She can speak to me as if I'm her equal. She can boss her brothers. And she is not a good loser. At all.

But she is funny as all get out! Her wit and humor are the very best! She has a wide range of food likes. She is reading better than I could have ever predicted. Her confidence is growing. She's learning it's okay to be wrong. She comes to us for comfort when she's hurt or sick (HUGE progress).  She accepts  discipline better and has finally stopped crying if she is corrected. She loves her long hair, her Barbies, her friends, soccer, her play kitchen, and shopping. Boy does she love shopping!

My love for her just grows and grows...even when I don't think it's possible to love her more or be more proud of her...I am.

So to the Eskeridge family. I know a little of the journey in front of you. I'm partially jealous...and mostly relieved we are a few steps further into this adoption thing. I don't know of a more perfect mom and dad and sister and brother for baby Ike. I know you too will soak up this blessing and be humbled by God's divine love for you. Thanks for the reminder and the perspective you gave me on our own family. What a joy this is in so many ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment