Friday, February 27, 2015

Boyfriends and Jesus

Yesterday was a regular Wednesday. Homeschool, lunch, outside play, the usual. Then Katelyn breezed into my room and we had the following conversation. 

She started by explaining that she didn't want one, but wanted to know how you get a boyfriend. This led to a discussion about how old you have to be to date, and why you should be that old. And she asked "so how do you break up with a boyfriend?" Which led to more conversation about being older and being able to handle that kind of relationship. 

Which led her to ask how many boyfriends I'd had before Andy, how I met Andy, how long we dated, when we got engaged, how he asked me to marry him. why do boys kneel down to propose, when he graduated college, when he started the Air Force, when our wedding was, and what our first house was like. 

Soon we were talking about how you should marry your best friend and we came up with some examples of couples she knows. Which of course led to a discussion about divorce and who in our families has been divorced and why, and why anyone would do that even after promising God and all their family and friends to be together until they died. 

Which led us to talking about God and what it means to believe in him and make promises to him (wedding vows), and sin, and our human-ness, and His grace and forgiveness. 

To which that sweet face snuggled up with me in the chair very matter of factly said "I think I'm ready to pray that prayer mom..to tell Jesus I love him and I know He died on the cross and why He did that so that I can go to heaven too." 

Afterwards, I was so tickled to think that the conversation that started with how to get a boyfriend, ended up in one of the most touching moments a mom can have....one where you get to be present and part of your child's journey to Jesus. 

Her mind is always spinning so I have to say it was a very Katelyn-like and so perfect. I love that girl and I am so happy, relieved, and thrilled to know she will spend eternity in heaven. God's Blessings continue to pour over us. I'm humbled and grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment