Saturday, May 18, 2013

Final Skype

Our last Skype call! Another step closer to getting our little girl back to our home.

It was a very informative Skype call. Katelyn was obviously stressed. She's been saying goodbye to many people such as her older half sister, her biological father (part of their process) and my heart hurts for her. They have all given her their blessing (something that the social workers help them vocalize) and her father told her to "do well in America." As a 7 year old, I'm not sure how you process all of that. I know the social workers at St. Lucy's are expert at making this transition happen.  I just want to make it better for her.

Katelyn had some pictures of herself from about the age of 18 months. She proudly showed them to us and we oo'd and aw'd. She was SO cute! She IS so cute, but those baby pictures are priceless. They said they will definitely give them to us when we pick her up so I'm grateful to have them.

She didn't stay in the seat very long but again, I believe we were seeing some stress and she's just trying to comprehend it all. We got to see the foster mom again and we got to meet the foster dad! That was pretty cool. He seemed very nice. The foster mom asked if we would keep in touch, send pictures through the orphanage, etc... and we agreed to do so. Her eyes welled with tears. I was very touched.

Katelyn asked about the plane ride and the duration. We explained it all and told her about some of the activities we have planned for her on the plane. I then asked her if there was anything else she likes to do and would enjoy on the plane. She talked very emphatically to the translator Vicky, and we heard Vicky laugh. Then Vicky turned to us and said "Well, there is nothing she wants on the plane, but she wants you to know that when she gets to America, she really wants a cat."

More proof God has a sense of humor.

Our family just doesn't DO cats! We're all allergic. We all wheeze. We all itch. A cat is just not. going. to. happen. I didn't have the heart to burst her bubble just yet and simply told her that "we'll see" about the cat. I bought her a stuffed cat to give to her when we meet. Hopefully that will be enough, at least for awhile.

I've thought a lot about her birth mother lately. She is deceased but kept Katelyn for about 16 months before she gave her up. I think of her doting on Katelyn like any mother does to a newborn. I'm assuming she loved her a great deal and took good care of her. She loved Katelyn enough to make sure she was placed happily in the orphanage and had great care, all before she died. I can't imagine making that decision or actually going through with it. But what a gift.

That gift set Katelyn on the trajectory that led her to us. I will be forever grateful. And Katelyn will know the details as she becomes old enough to really understand.

And we pray. A lot. And our friends are praying too. It gives me great peace. I know that He can help to prepare her heart and begin to heal her. And that He will guide us in how we become family. I know she has to go through a grieving process and I hate it. Bless her.

We're almost there baby girl...almost there.

No comments:

Post a Comment